Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Mortensens and Denneys Come Together!

Brett and I spent the 24th of July in Alamosa, Colorado (my home town) with BOTH of our families. That's right, the Mortensens and Denneys came together for some small-town fun! We actually have a big Pioneer Day Celebration in Manassa, Colorado (an even smaller town just 20 minutes south of Alamosa). I grew up going to this celebration every summer, it brings family and friends together every year! Everyone call it "Christmas in July." It consists of parades, live music, the best hamburgers in town (and they only come once a year), rodeos, demolotion derby's, fireworks, and much more. We had a weekend full of fun together.

My family gave the Denney's a small taste of the Pioneer Day Fun in Manassa on Friday. The boys started out the day with a round of golf at 6:30 in the morning. Then we hit up the parade, and just sat around on the grass enjoying live music and those delicious burgers!

Brett waiting oh-so anxiously for the parade to start! Ha!Love the bunny ears Craig, classic.
Just one of the many cute floats!
Friday night we hit up the Rodeo! I didn't get a picture of the mutton busting....but someday our kids WILL do that!

Saturday the boys started out with GOLF again. Somehow they managed 45 holes over the weekend. Our dads were in heaven!
Brett is wishin' this was his.
Takin' Sheri out for a ride

Our hike to Zapata Falls The rocks were slippery....
The water was FREEZING.... And my poor dad fell in!!Our mothers pretending to be brave and wading in the freezing water!
The rest of our time was spent eating delicious food and playing dominos late at night! The Denneys taught my parents to play Mexican Train, they are hooked!
We had such a fun weekend with our parents! There's nothing better than great company, great entertainment, and great food! It's even better when the company is FAMILY! We are so lucky our parents get along so well....it's like they were friends before Brett and I even met!
Thanks Mom, Dad, Craig, and Sheri for ALL OF THE FUN! We Love You!

7 comments:

MEG said...

You weren't kidding - that was a BIG, fun-packed celebration weekend! Looks like you guys had a great time!

Leanna said...

your parents are so cute! looks like you had a wonderful weekend together - glad you had such a great time!!!

Reimstar said...

Oh my gosh, I don't know if I've told you this before but I have family that live in Manassa, I'm sure you know some of the Rogers or Dunns. Small world. I went down for the 24th a couple of summers when I was younger. So much fun! Looks like you guys had a blast! I miss celebrating Pioneer Day! People outside of Utah, Idaho and the San Luis valley think its a made up holiday!

Katie said...

I loved that hike to the waterfall! I wish i could do that agian someday. It looks like you and your families had a ton of fun!!

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

What fun! You guys look like you had a blast!

Lauren said...

Looks like you guys had a blast in CO! ps. I loved those brownies you brought over the other night!! Craft night soon?

Geoff and Bets said...

ok im gonna show my ignorance... but im really just hoping this is a colorado thing... what's mutton busting?